Wednesday 26 January 2011

Font Choice for Masthead

With the masthead it is important to have a font which represents the entire magazine, so with a metal music magazine such as METAL HAMMER the font would be very jagged with sharp edges, mostly showing a dangerous and angry look for the magazine.
Example of Metal music magazine font


Very gothic with sharp edges, however I'm not doing a metal music magazine, I'm doing a rock music magazine so the font needs to be either similar to KERRANG or if I don't wish to very stereotypical with my font I could go with a more serif style font like Q.

Example of KERRANG style font magazine

With this font it gives off a printed effect, but also like paint has been splattered against it, the edges are as sharp as the metal music font, softer.

Example of Q style magazine font

With this font it is a serif font so it is a thin style of font with sharp clean edges, very professional and sophisticated.

My magazine is going to be similar to the style of Q magazine so I'm going to probably aim more for the sophisticated and clean font for the Masthead.

2 comments: